So, there are a few reasons for this, namely:
- More readers. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I’ve noticed that I get more readers for member-only articles, and I believe that medium prioritizes these articles in their promotion algorithms.
- Non-members get to read a small number of member-only articles. I don’t remember how many or if it refreshes, but as far as I can tell, anyone who is using medium often probably has a membership, and if they don’t, then they could very easily have enough free reads to access this article.
- Membership is cheap, and I support it. While it is far from perfect, membership does promote a space where writers can create content without worrying about excessive advertising or pandering. It’s a way for the consumer to pay the writer directly, which I enjoy. I am a member, and I like that I support other writers.
- All my content is free at my website www.keenanerikssonfitness.com. Everything I write on medium that is related to health is also available on my own site, with no restrictions. Anyone who likes my work but does not want to be a medium member can access all of it at my site. This particular article isn’t there yet, due to the fact I’m actually improving it for a larger project that will be on my site over time, but in general none of my content is completely exclusive. It can all be found on my personal site.
- Helps pay the bills. I started my site, and my writing, because I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I cannot yet work a day job, so my online work is how I make $ to heal. It’s a slow process, but writing on these topics is what I’d want to do even if I were completely healthy. It may not seem like medium is a good income, but I’ve seen many a popular writer average $500 a month from just medium. I don’t have any bills or payments, so $500 goes a long way for me towards healing, and also trying new biohacking techniques I can write about. This isn’t the primary reason I put articles behind the paywall, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit it is nice, and helps me build other elements of my business/blog.